So you’ve inherited the family textile heirlooms, now what? Textiles include clothing, rugs, blankets, lace or other fabrics. Bottomless quote generator, Ben Franklin noted: “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” It certainly applies to textile care; small measures now ensure good long term preservation. Let’s get started.
The quick version:
- Don’t store in a basement, attic or garage (really, you’ll regret it)
- Remove dry cleaning bags and wire hangers
- If a textile is sturdy, hang it up
- If it is heavy (like a quilt), box it up
- If it is fragile, roll it up